Stephen Jay Gould on Evolution
Note: This CD-ROM works only on a Macintosh computer; it is currently installed on the iMac (the aqua colored Macintosh near the door).
I. BRIEF OVERVIEW OF STRUCTURE AND CONTENT:
On Evolution is a CD-ROM "expanded book," reproducing the complete text of Steven Jay Gould's book Bully for Brontosaurus, as well as other supplementary materials. These materials include a video lecture, other Gould essays related to evolution, related historical documents (such as letters written by Charles Darwin), maps allowing you to locate any place in the world mentioned in the writings, and the texts of Charles Darwin's books Origin of the Species and Voyage of the Beagle. All texts are searchable.
II. STARTING UP ON EVOLUTION:
Take the Stephen Jay Gould: On Evolution CD-ROM from its case and place it in the CD carrier of the computer. Double-click on the following icons:
- The CD ROM PROGRAMS folder icon;
- The gould on evolution folder icon;
- The Gould Folder icon.
- The Gould - On Evolution icon.
If you do not see these icons, please ask a staff member for assistance.
The CD-ROM should begin with a title page featuring images of several animals (including a panda bear) and a brief snippet of music. Click anywhere on the image or press the right arrow key to proceed. You will then find yourself at the Copyright page. You can proceed from there by pressing the keyboard's right arrow key (which will bring you to the Table of Contents) or by clicking on the bookmark icon at the bottom right of the screen (which will deposit you at the last page used).
III. USING ON EVOLUTION:
The CD-ROM can be navigated in several ways:
- By clicking on the icons (e.g. The Lecture, The Maps, etc.) which are always displayed at the left of the Contents screens for any given section.
- By using the Tool Palette (see section IV for details.) If you do not see this palette, press [apple-T] or click on the word Navigate when it appears on the left side of the screen. Note, however, that the Tool Palette is only available within chapters, not from the main Icon and Contents pages.
- By double-clicking on Contents page items.
- By pressing the keyboard's left and right arrow keys (this moves you forward or backward by one page).
Maps require a slightly different form of navigation. You can scroll through them by pressing the arrow keys. An easier method, however, is to click and hold on the Legend. This will bring up an alphabetized list of cities that you can add to the map, as well as links to other portions of the CD-ROM.
If you click on a word underlined in gray, you will access its annotation. Clicking on the underlined portion of the annotation returns you to the main body of the text.
For online help, press [apple-?]. You can also select the Help option from the pull-down Books menu at the top of the screen. If you do not see this menu, move the pointer to the top of the page and it will appear.
Summary of Tool Palette Items:
- Page: the Page button at the top of the tool panel
allows you to "turn" pages by clicking on the left and right arrows.
To get to a distant page immediately, click on the Page button, which
will open a window allowing you to type the number of the page
you wish to see.
- Chapter: the Chapter button allows you to skip forward or
backward by larger increments. To move between chapters, click on the
arrows either left or right. Somewhat misleadingly, clicking and holding
on Chapter actually calls up the main headings of the Table of
Contents for the entire CD-ROM, allowing you to move between its largest
sections. Clicking and holding on one of these sections will call up a
list of its contents. To move directly to the chapter or subsection of
your choice, select it with the mouse and release the mouse button.
- Find: the Find button allows you to search the entire
CD-ROM for specific words.
- Mark: the Mark button allows you to bookmark pages. Click
on Mark to mark a page. You can return to these pages by clicking and
holding on Mark or the corresponding arrow buttons.
- Retrace: the Retrace button allows you to review your preceding steps and return to any spot you've visited in the CD-ROM by direct link. To review or to retrace your steps, click on Retrace, which will unfold a list of your steps. To visit any of these directly, release the mouse over the desired spot.
IV. EXITING AND REMOVING THE CD-ROM:
Exit the CD-ROM by choosing File on the pull-down menu at the top of the screen (if you don't see this menu, move the pointer to the top of the screen and it will appear.) Then choose Quit Hypercard. This will retrace your CD-ROM start-up steps, bringing you to the penultimate window which contains the constellation of Gould icons, including On Evolution. To remove the CD-ROM from the computer, drag the "Gould CD" desktop icon over the trash can. Please place the CD back in its case and return it to a member of the Etext Center staff.