The Story of Civilization, by Will and Ariel Durant
Please note: this CD only works with IBM-compatible computers.
I. A Brief Overview:
The Story of Civilization is a CD-ROM version of Will and Ariel Durant's 11 volume The Story of Civilization. It includes over 800 illustrations, photos and maps, plus a documentary of the Durants. In addition, all of the texts are searchable by word, phrase and date.
II. Getting Started:
- Insert the Story of Civilization CD-ROM into the CD-ROM (d:) drive.
- Windows: From the Start menu at the bottom left corner of
the screen, select:
- World Library CD-ROMs
- The Story of Civilization
- A screen with a globe should appear. Press any key to continue.
- Now you should see the startup menu from which you can access
all texts, images and videos, and exit.
Please ask a staff member for assistance if you have trouble starting the CD-ROM
III. Using The Story of Civilization:
Some options function consistently throughout the CD-ROM:
- The Return option functions much like the "Back" button in Internet browsers; it returns you to the previous screen visited.
- The Help option offers context-sensitive help.
- Print offers various print options, such as printing a list, the contents of a selection, or the contents of a list. You can also print to a file.
- Description describes the selected work and/or author.
- Summary lists your searches up to that point.
- Read Text provides the full text of your selection. When
you see the full text, you will also see a smaller menu with more options:
- AutoScroll automatically scrolls the text; you can stop it by clicking on the text with the mouse.
- Bookmark places markers in the text (and notes, if you like), which you can access from the Go To Bookmark button on the Main Menu.
- Hypertext allows you to search for a word or phrase.
Other Main Menu Options:
- Titles: Search texts by title. You can access a document by highlighting it and clicking on Read Text or by double-clicking on the title of the document. To see the table of contents for a particular volume, click on Expand TOC.
- Authors: Search texts by author. Click on an author to see a list of that author's works.
- Words: Search texts for specific words or phrases.
- Video: Access clips of the Durant documentary.
- Go To Bookmark: Access bookmarked pages
- Illustrations: View selected illustrations, maps and photos.
- Multimedia: View a list of the Durant documentary clips as well as audio prefaces for each section.
- Summary: Displays a summary of the search criteria currently selected.
- Clear Strategy: Clears any titles or words you have chosen for a search.
- Options: Lets you alter the program configurations.
IV. Exiting and removing the CD-ROM:
- Click the Return button until you return to the Main Menu.
- Click the Exit button. Confirm that you would like to exit the program.
- After you have exited the program, remove the CD-ROM from the d: drive.