This copy is made available to UVa users only.
Admyte is a commercial product held by us under a licensing agreement with Micronet S. A.. Access to the CD is restricted to on-site use by students faculty and staff at the University of Virginia. The Electronic Text Center does not have the rights to give or sell general access to this material.
Those interested in purchasing a copy of Admyte should contact Micronet S. A. Please see our contact information page for details.
There is an instruction manual (in Spanish) that accompanies this CD-ROM; if you need further assistance after reviewing this helpsheet, please ask an Etext staffer for the booklet.
Scope and contents
Admyte stands for "Archivo Digital de Manuscritos y Textos Españoles;" more specifically, it is an ongoing digital archive of Spanish texts and manuscripts written in Castilian before 1615. Volume 0 contains the Bibliografia Española de Textos Antiguos, a collection of 64 medieval texts. Volume 1 contains a variety of incunabula (early printed works) from the holdings of the Biblioteca Nacional de España in Madrid, including encyclopedias, dictionaries, grammars, legal and scientific works, chronicles, travel literature, and works of poetry. Both volumes contain complete and fully searchable transcriptions of each text; in addition, Volume 1 contains black and white facsimiles of each page.
Starting Up Admyte
Because Admyte only allows you to work with one volume at a time, you must select either Disk 0 or Disk 1 to begin. Place the appropriate CD-ROM in the computer's CD carrier by pressing the button outside of the CD-ROM drive to open and close it. Click on the Start button, select Programs, then select Admyte from the pullout menu. Click on the Admyte icon from the submenu. If you cannot find this icon, please ask a staff member for assistance.
You will arrive at a title screen. Click OK to begin using the program.
- To search for a particular word, select Find Word from
the Options menu. You can type the entire word in the
Search field, or you can type the first few letters in the
Word field to browse through the complete list of words and then
click on a word in the list to select it. You can choose to search either
within all titles in the volume or within selected titles by clicking
the appropriate button. Click on the Search
button to perform the search. The number of hits will appear at the
top right of the dialogue box.
Admyte supports some advanced search options, including Boolean operators and proximity searching. For more information about searching, use the on-line Help menu or consult the manual.
- To constrain your search to one or more specific titles, select Title Selection from the Option menu. Use the sliding bar to scroll through the available titles. Clicking on a title selects it; clicking on the "Deselect" button clears all of your selections. To select all texts within a particular genre, use the pull-down Theme menu to choose the appropriate category. When you've made your selection(s), you can continue with the search instructions listed above.
- To view your search results, click on the Go to button. Admyte will display the transcription of the page on which your word was found. If your search produced multiple hits, ADMYTE will display the first hit; you can then navigate through the list of hits by using the + and - keys on the keypad. If you are searching Volume 1, you can also view an image of each page by going to the Option menu and checking Image. You can then alter the size of the image by selecting Enlarge or Reduce from the Edit menu.
- To use the glossary of lemmata, which groups together the variant forms of each word, select Glossary of lemmata from the Options menu. When you select a word from the scrolling list at the top, the dominant form of that word (or "lexical item"), along with a list of other variants or lemmata, will appear below. You can then search for either the lemmata or the lexical item by clicking on the appropriate button.
- To print or export your results, select Print from the
Options menu. You can print either the current page or a
selection of pages, and you can choose to print either the transcription
or the image.
Please Note: If you have a lot of information that you need to record, please select Export from the Print menu; this will save your selection(s) as an ASCII file called ADMYTE.EXP in the C:\CDS\ADMYTE directory. You can then copy this file onto a floppy disk and take it with you, or you can FTP it to your Unix account.
Exiting Admyte and removing the CD-Rom
Exit the program by selecting Quit from the File menu. You should find yourself back at the Windows desktop. You can then eject the CD-ROM by pressing the button below and to the right of the CD carrier. Please place the CD-ROM back in its case and return it to an Etext Center assistant.