Nietzsche Werke Historisch-Kritische Ausgabe
I. BRIEF OVERVIEW OF STRUCTURE AND CONTENT:
Nietzsche Werke: Historisch-kritische Ausgabe is a CD-ROM that provides a searchable database of Friedrich Nietzsche's works. The electronic texts included in the database were created from the Colli/Montinari critical editions. The CD-ROM features an introduction by its editor, Dr. Malcolm Brown, and complete instructions in English for searching the database.
II. STARTING UP NIETZSCHE WERKE:
Place the CD-ROM in the computer's CD carrier by pressing the button outside of the CD-ROM drive to open and close it. Click on the Start button, select Programs, then select Nietzsche from the pullout menu. Select the Infobase_Nietzsche icon from the submenu. If you cannot find this icon, please ask a staff member for assistance.
The Nietzsche Home screen will appear shortly thereafter.
III. USING NIETZSCHE WERKE:
At the top of the screen you will see six available options: List of works of the database, Electronic Editor's Introduction, Text Conventions, How best to search the database, How to search using fields, How to go to a particular page. To proceed, double-click on one of these six options.
- Click List of works of the database for a list of the works included in this volume. Double-click on any title to go directly to its text.
- Click Electronic Editor's Introduction to find out more information about the production of this CD-ROM and its creator, Dr. Malcolm Brown. This section also includes a list of abbreviations used in the CD-ROM.
- Click Text Conventions for an explanation of how this database represents text conventions such as boldspace and underlining from the printed editions.
- Click on How best to search the database to learn how to search the Nietzsche database. This section also explains how to use the tool bar buttons located in the upper left section of the screen.
- Click on How to search using fields to learn how to limit your search to specific fields.
- Click on How to go to a particular page to learn how to jump directly to specific pages in the Nietzsche texts.
You can navigate the CD-ROM by using the Button Bar at the left-hand side of your screen.
Using the Button Bar:
- Click on Query to begin a search. A box will appear in the middle of your screen.
- Click on the field entitled Query for and type a word. To search for a phrase, enclose your phrase in quoation marks. [Note: this phrase searching option does not work as well as one would hope. While it does locate phrases, it also includes individual words from the selected phrase in its results. This can prove quite frustrating.]
- To limit your search, click on the field under Scope in the top left of the query box. A drop-down menu providing several options will appear.
- A list of words will appear in the field on the left, showing words similar to the one you have chosen. You may click on words from that list to search at any time.
- The number of hits found that match your search term appears in the top field of the box.
- To view the hits, click on O.K.
- For information on how to perform more complex searches, click on Help in the lower right-hand corner of the box.
- Click on Next to advance to the next hit from your query list. You may also hit F3 (located in the row of command buttons at the top of the keyboard).
- Click on Previous to return to the previous hit from your query list.
- Click on Backtrack to back up through a search or link to your previous starting point.
- Click on Trail to get a list of your recent actions.
- Click on Contents to get a table of contents for the CD ROM.
This table of contents is expandable.
- Click on any [+] to show the topics contained under that heading.
- Click on any [-] to reshrink the list.
- Click on any phrase to jump directly to that section of the CD ROM.
- For information on how to use the Highlighter, Bookmark. and Notes buttons, which allow for more complex use of the CD ROM, click on Help at the very top of the screen. Choose Contents, then Index, then your subject heading.
Near the top of the screen you will find a short nested list of topic headings which show you where you are within the CD ROM. Click on any one of these headings to jump to that section of the CD ROM. This is also where you will find the title for the work in which the current displayed hit is located.
- To mark records for later printing or export, you may choose Tag record from the Edit menu, or hit F6 (located in the row of command buttons at the top of the keyboard).
- To save your marked records, choose Save as from the File menu. Make sure you save your record to the directory c:\data. If you need help with this, please ask one of the staff members.
- To print your marked records, choose Print from the File menu. Choose Tag for tagged records. [A note: print-outs from this CD ROM provide little referential data. You will see a text ID abbreviation and page number references to the printed versions. For an explanation of these abbreviations and sources, see the Electronic Editor's introduction. Be sure to record them before leaving the Electronic Text Center with your data.]
For more information or in-depth help, refer to the Help menu at the top of the screen.
To close an opened box, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the box or click outside of the box.
IV. EXITING NIETZSCHE WERKE AND REMOVING THE CD-ROM:
Exit the program by selecting "Exit" from the File menu. You should find yourself back at the Windows desktop. You can then eject the CD-ROM by pressing the button below and to the right of the CD carrier. Please place the CD-ROM back in its case and return it to an Etext Center assistant.