Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five
I. BRIEF OVERVIEW OF STRUCTURE AND CONTENT:
Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five CD-ROM features the complete text of the 1969 novel with dramatic voice-over narrations, archival film footage of the historical events that shaped the novel, and a video interview with Kurt Vonnegut.
II. STARTING UP SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE:
Place the CD-ROM in the computer's CD carrier by pressing the button outside of the CD-ROM drive to open and close it. Click on the Start button, select Programs, then Slaughterhouse Five as the menus open for you. If you cannot find this icon, please ask a staff member for assistance.
The opening sequence will start and last about 30 seconds and then the Home screen will appear. Three options are available here: Linear, Random and Video.
III. USING SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE:
Choose one of the options:
- Click on Linear to navigate through the text on your own.
- Click on Random to be led through the text randomly.
- Click on Video to see the interview with Kurt Vonnegut.
Linear can be navigated by using the Button Bar that appears at the top of the screen. Using the Button Bar:
- Click on >> to begin reading the enhanced text.
- Click on the << button to display the previous screen.
- Click on Chapters to access a list of chapters. Double click on a chapter to open it.
- Click on Home to return to the original screen.
If the text or image you are viewing doesn't fit in the viewing space, use the scroll bars on the bottom and side to scroll down and sideways.
When you first choose the Random option, the Random Player will begin automatically, showing text, images and sound. Random can be navigated by using the Random Player button bar:
- Click the Pause button to pause.
- Click the Stop button to return to the Home screen.
- Click the >> button to go forward to the next screen.
Video begins the interview with Kurt Vonnegut automatically. This option can be navigated by using the Button Bar:
- Click Home to return to the original screen.
- Click Previous to see Vonnegut discussing the previous topic.
- Click Next to see Vonnegut discussing the next topic.
- Click List to open a menu of topics that you can double-click on to open. Use the scroll bar to view the complete menu of choices.
IV. EXITING SLAUGHTERHOUSE-FIVE AND REMOVING THE CD-ROM:
Exit the program by going to the Home screen and clicking on Exit. Then remove the CD-ROM from the CD carrier by pressing the button below and to the right of the tray. Please place the CD back in its case and return it to an Etext staffer.